Last Updated: April 20, 2023
Zulily Privacy Notice
Zulily respects your privacy. We are committed to letting you know how we will collect and use your information. This Privacy Notice ("Notice") describes the privacy practices we follow in connection with the Zulily websites, web pages, social media pages, and mobile applications that link to it (collectively our "Sites"), as well as the related consumer services offered through the Sites. It also describes the options you have regarding our collection, use, and disclosure of your personal information when accessing the Sites.
By using our Sites, you understand and accept the privacy practices described in this Notice. If you do not agree with this Notice, please do not use the Sites. We reserve the right to modify the terms of this Notice at any time. We will post any changes to our website. Your continued use of our Sites following the posting of changes will mean you accept those changes.
- Information We Collect
- How We Use Your Information
- Interaction with Social Media Platforms
- Who We Share Your Information With
- Interest-Based Advertising
- Your Choices
- Your Rights
- International Transfer of Personal Information
- Data Security
- Updates to this Notice
- How to Contact Us
- California Privacy Practices
- California Financial Incentive
Information We Collect
Information you provide to us: Zulily is a membership-based site. We offer special deals and product offerings that may only be available for limited times and in limited quantities. In order to purchase on our Sites and receive our special deals and personalized offers, you must register through the Sites as a Zulily member and provide us with personal information, including your name, email address, physical address, and phone number. You will also be required to create a Zulily password. This information allows us to authenticate your access to the Sites, keep you informed in a timely fashion of special deals and product offerings, and complete transactions you initiate. When you use our services, you may also provide payment account information (e.g., credit/debit card information, bank account number), photographs in which you may be recognized, and other information about yourself.
The Sites may allow you to connect and share your actions, comments, content, and information publicly or with other people you specify. You may also share with Zulily contact information of friends and people in your address book so that we can help you invite others to become Zulily members or let them know about special offers and help facilitate deliveries. Please be mindful of your own privacy needs and those of others as you choose with whom to connect, what you share with us and others, and what you make public. We cannot control the privacy of information you choose to make public or share with others.
Information we collect automatically: We collect information about your use of the Sites, such as your IP address and the location of your IP server, device IDs, device type, wi-fi connection information, location data, product search history, type of browser and operating system used, date and time you access the Sites, pages you visit, and, if you came to the Sites from another website, the address of that website. We also record and store your telephone calls with our customer service team and any interactions you have with our chat feature, including transcripts of such chats.
Information collected from third-party partners: We may collect information about you that we receive from third parties, such as our service providers and advertising and marketing partners. Our third-party partners help us to verify or update information contained in our records and to better customize services for you. We may also combine information we receive from third parties with the information we receive based on your use of the Sites and any other interactions with us.
How We Use Your Information
We use the personal information we collect from you to:
- Provide content, products, and services, including the operational, management, and billing support necessary to accomplish those business purposes
- Post content you provide to us (e.g. your product reviews)
- Communicate with you, including providing you with:
- Information about your account, transactions, new features on the Sites, and changes to our policies
- Offers or promotions for our products, services, or special events
- Offers or promotions for third-party products, services, or special events
- Personalize content and experiences, including providing recommendations based on your preferences
- Provide advertising including advertising based on your activity on the Sites or activity on third-party websites
- Administer contests, sweepstakes, promotions, or surveys
- Optimize or improve our products, services, and operations
- Detect, investigate, and prevent activities that may violate our policies or be illegal
- Perform statistical, demographic, and marketing analyses of users of the Sites and their purchasing patterns
We may also use or combine information that we receive from third-party sources or collect offline to enhance, expand, and check the accuracy of your customer records.
We may use your personal information in other ways not listed here, for which we will provide notice at the time of collection.
Interaction with Social Media Platforms
We may include applications from third-party social media platforms on this website or through our Sites, which allow users to interact with or share content with various social media platforms. Some of these applications provide specific services or content on our Sites, such as a Facebook "Share" or "Like" button, and are visible to you when you visit our Sites. Your interaction with these programs typically allows the social media platform to collect some information about you through cookies they place on your device and other tracking mechanisms. In some cases, the social media platform may place cookies on our Sites that allow it to recognize you even when you do not interact with their application. If you choose to sign in to your Zulily account with or through a social networking service, Zulily and that service may share certain information about you and your activities. We also may share information about your activities, including what you view and purchase on the Sites, with that social media platform, in accordance with your account settings with us or your social networking service, or with your permission. Please visit the third parties' respective privacy policies to better understand their data collection practices and controls they make available to you.
Who We Share Your Information With
We may share your personal information with third parties as described below:
- Service Providers. We may allow third parties who perform business services for us to access, store, and process your personal information in order to provide those services. We do not permit our service providers to use your personal information for their own marketing or other commercial purposes without your consent.
- Business Partners. We may share your information with our business partners who provide products and services that support Zulily and/or your use of our Sites.
- Advertising Partners. We work with companies who provide advertising and marketing services for Zulily or our Sites. These companies may collect personal information from you when you use the Sites.
- Surveys/Sweepstakes/Promotions. In the event that you participate in a survey, sweepstakes, contest, or other promotion that is sponsored by Zulily and/or a third party, such participation serves as your consent for Zulily to share your information collected in conjunction with the survey, sweepstakes, contest, or promotion, with that third party. After the information is provided to such third parties, the subsequent use or disclosure of such information is subject to those third parties' privacy policies and practices.
- Legal Disclosures. We may disclose your personal information to: (i) protect or defend the legal rights, interests, or property of Zulily and our Afﬁliates; (ii) protect the safety and security of our customers or members of the public; (iii) protect against fraud or for risk management purposes; or (iv) comply with applicable law or legal process.
- Business Transfers. In addition, we may disclose or transfer your information in connection with or during negotiation of any merger, ﬁnancing, acquisition, bankruptcy, dissolution, or any other transaction or proceeding involving sale, transfer, divestiture, or disclosure of all or a portion of our business or assets to another company. Under such circumstances, we would, to the extent possible, require the acquiring party to follow the practices described in this Notice, as it may be amended from time to time. Nevertheless, we cannot promise that an acquiring company party or the merged company entity will have the same privacy practices or treat your information the same as described in this Notice.
Zulily uses the information you make available to us when you interact with our Sites, content, or services to provide you with advertising and offers that are more relevant to you. We also partner with third-party advertising companies to provide advertisements on our Sites and other sites about goods and services that may be of interest to you, including advertisements for unaffiliated products and services on our Sites. The advertisements may be based on information collected through cookies, web beacons, and other tracking technologies from our Sites, emails/communications and on other third-party websites you visit and mobile applications you use that participate in our advertising networks. These third parties may use persistent identifiers to track your Internet usage across other websites and mobile applications in their networks beyond these Sites. For information about how we share your information with third parties, please see Who We Share Your Information With above.
Learn more about third-party advertising companies and the options available to limit their collection and use here:
- Network Advertising Initiative (http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices)
- Digital Advertising Alliance (https://youradchoices.com/control)
- Meta’s Ad Preferences (https://www.facebook.com/about/ads) and (https://www.facebook.com/policy.php)
- Google Analytics (https://www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners) and opt-out tool (https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout)
Learn about your options to opt out of mobile app tracking by certain advertising networks through your device settings and by resetting the advertiser ID on your Apple or Android device. For more information about how to change these settings go to:
- Apple: (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4228)
- Android: (http://www.google.com/policies/technologies/ads)
- Windows: (http://choice.microsoft.com/en-US/opt-out (http://choice.microsoft.com/en-US/opt-out)
Please note that opting-out of advertising networks services does not mean that you will not receive advertising while using our Sites or on other websites, nor will it prevent the receipt of interest-based advertising from third parties that do not participate in these programs. It will, however, exclude you from interest-based advertising conducted through participating networks, as provided by their policies and choice mechanisms.
Registration Information. Visitors to our Sites can choose not to provide the personal information needed to register as a Zulily member, however, they may not be able to use all of the Zulily services.
Emails and Other Communications. A key benefit of a membership with Zulily is receiving notice of our limited time and quantity deals. If you would like to alter the frequency and type of communications you receive from us, you may do so at any time by updating the communication preferences specified in your Account Profile here, or by going to our website, and clicking on My Account. If you no longer wish to receive promotional communications from us, you may do so by changing your preferences as noted above. Please note that this may affect your ability to access certain products and services, and we may continue to send non-promotional communications such as order confirmations, surveys, and other information about your transactions. If you refer others to us using our email functionality, please note that they may choose not to receive any promotional emails from us in the future by following the opt-out instructions in the email invitation. If you want to receive our emails, but do not wish for us to track the emails we send you, some email services allow you to adjust your display to turn off HTML or disable download of images that should effectively disable our email tracking.
Please be aware that if you use Sign in with Apple but turn off email forwarding you will not receive any emails from Zulily, including emails regarding your purchases, product recalls, and related information, and responses to your request to exercise the privacy rights available to you. If you would like to receive these emails but prefer to limit the number of marketing emails you receive, you can allow email forwarding and customize your email preferences in your Zulily account.
Cookies. You also have choices to limit some of the cookies and other tracking mechanisms that collect information when you use the Sites. Many web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser's setting to decline cookies if you prefer. If you choose to decline cookies, certain features of our website, including the Sites themselves, may not function properly or remain accessible to you. In addition, you may also render some web beacons unusable by rejecting or removing their associated cookies. Note that if you choose to remove cookies, you may remove opt-out cookies that affect your advertising preferences.
You may opt out of the collection and use of your information by some advertising networks as described in the Interest-Based Advertising section of this Notice.
You may opt out of tracking of analytics data by Google Analytics, one of our customer usage analytics providers, by clicking here.
If you opt-in to sharing your device's location when you use our mobile applications, you can opt out by adjusting the device's location services settings or the settings on our mobile applications.
Third-Party Links. The Sites may contain links to other sites that Zulily does not own or operate. This includes links from advertisers, vendors, social media, Affiliates, and other third parties. These other sites may send their own cookies to your device, they may independently collect data or solicit personal information and may or may not have their own published privacy policies and practices. We do not control, recommend, or endorse and are not responsible for these sites or their privacy policies or practices. This Notice only applies to the Sites and information collected by or on behalf of Zulily.
Deletion. You may request deletion of your personal information by clicking here or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. In order to verify your identity, you must enter the email address and password associated with your Zulily account. Only certain states provide consumers with a right to delete their personal information. However, the privacy rights of all customers are important to us. If you are located in a state where deletion is not a right, Zulily will use reasonable efforts to respond to your request. Note that Zulily may retain some personal information, as permitted under the law.
Residents of certain U.S. states also have the following rights:
Right to opt-out of sales. When Zulily shares personal information with its advertising partners or other third parties that sharing may be considered a "sale" of personal information under certain laws. You can opt out of these sales by clicking here or by emailing email@example.com.
Right to opt-out of shares/targeted advertising. We share personal information in connection with Interest-Based Advertising (as described above). You can opt out of this share/targeted advertising by clicking here or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Opt-out preference signals. Some browsers and browser extensions offer you the ability to opt out of cookie-based and other online tracking, which may be considered a "sale" or "sharing" of your personal information under certain laws. At this time, we only respond to browser-based opt-out signals sent through the Global Privacy Control (GPC). You can learn more about the GPC here.
When you opt out of sale or share via the GPC, you will be opted out of targeted advertising and the sale or sharing of your personal information. If you choose to opt out as a member and successfully sign in to your Zulily account, we will associate your opt-out preference with your Zulily account and with the browser you are using at the time you opt out. If you choose to opt out as a non-member, we will associate your opt-out preference with the browser you are using at the time you opt out. We do not respond to do not track or other browser-based signals.
Right to access and update/correct your information. You may exercise your right to request a copy of your personal information by clicking here or by emailing email@example.com. In order to verify your identity, you must enter the email address and password associated with your Zulily account. There is no reasonable method by which Zulily can verify the identity of a consumer who does not have a Zulily account. You may also access and update your account information at any time after signing in to the Sites by visiting your Account Proﬁle here. To help us maintain accurate, current, and complete information about you, please submit only accurate and complete information whenever you provide personal information to us, and promptly update your account whenever it changes. You can also submit a request to correct your personal information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Right to non-discrimination. You have the right not to be discriminated against because you have exercised your privacy rights. However, we reserve the right to provide loyalty programs and other differential pricing and services as permitted by law.
Authorized Agent. You may designate an authorized agent to exercise the privacy rights described in this section. When submitting the request, please ensure the authorized agent identiﬁes himself/herself/itself as an authorized agent and can provide documentation that you have authorized the agent to act on your behalf.
We do not knowingly collect, use, or disclose personal information from anyone under 18 years of age. If we become aware that we have unknowingly collected personal information from a person under the age of 18, we will make reasonable efforts to delete such information from our records.
International Transfer of Personal Information
Zulily is headquartered in the U.S. and is an international business. We may need to transfer your personal information outside of the country in which you are located and make it accessible to our Affiliates and other third parties in countries where the data protection regulations are different from those in your country. We do this in order to provide you with our services and for the other purposes described in this Notice. By using the Sites, or providing us with any information, you consent to the collection, processing, maintenance, and transfer of such information in and to the United States and other countries.
We employ certain administrative, technical, and physical security measures to help reduce the risks of loss, theft, and unauthorized access associated with the information that is in our possession. We cannot, however, guarantee the security of the networks, systems, servers, devices, and databases we operate or that are operated on our behalf.
Updates to this Notice
We may update this Notice to provide clariﬁcation or notice of changes to our practices. If we make changes, we will revise the date at the top of this Notice. If we use personal information in a manner that is materially different than described in this version of this Notice, we will obtain your consent if required by applicable law.
How to Contact Us
If you have any questions about this Notice or if you would like us to help you adjust your preferences, please contact us as follows:
By email at email@example.com or call us at 1-877-779-5615.
If preferred, you may write to us at:
Attn: Privacy Inquiry
2601 Elliott Avenue, Suite 200
Seattle, WA 98121
California Privacy Practices
This section ("CCPA Notice") explains how Zulily collects and uses the personal information of California consumers under the California Consumer Privacy Act, as amended by the California Privacy Rights Act (together, "CCPA"). This CCPA Notice will be updated every 12 months, or as needed to address changes in the law or our practices.
This CCPA Notice supplements our other privacy notices and policies and shall govern in the event of a conflict.
Please note that this CCPA Notice does not apply to human resources data or business-to-business communications data. If you would like information about human resources data or business-to-business communications data, please reach out to your contact at Zulily.
Collected personal information.
- Categories of personal information. Zulily may collect personal information about members and other users of our services who are California consumers including personal information within the following categories:
- identifiers (e.g. your name and other contact information, IP address, and device ID);
- demographic data (e.g. race, gender, age, or sexual orientation);
- purchase history and payment information (e.g. your order information, payment details, and feedback information);
- internet or other electronic network activity information (e.g. your browsing history);
- geolocation data;
- audio, electronic, visual, or similar information (e.g. pictures and videos that you send to us, or recordings of your calls to our customer service centers);
- professional or employment-related information (e.g. details of your resume in the event you apply for a position with Zulily);
- your preferences and inferences about your interests (e.g. your shopping preferences); and
- individual records (e.g. any other information that may identify or relates to you).
- Non-personal information. Zulily may also collect, generate, or share deidentified or aggregate information. This is not personal information under CCPA, and we reserve the right to convert, or permit others to convert, personal information into deidentified data or aggregate consumer information.
Sources of personal information. Zulily collects personal information from different sources.
- Personal information we collect from you. Zulily collects some personal information that you provide directly to us. This can include contact information, order information, payment information, communication information, feedback information, preferences information, pictures and videos that you send to us, and other information you provide to us. In addition, you may provide us with the personal information of other people if you invite others to become Zulily members or send a package to another person.
- Personal information we collect from cookies, pixels, and similar technologies. Zulily or its vendors collect some personal information automatically from cookies, pixels, and similar technologies when you use our services. This can include your browsing activities when you are on our Sites; information about devices that you use to access Zulily’s services; and other information collected through cookies, pixels, and similar technologies.
- Personal information we create. Zulily creates some personal information when you use our services. This can include analytics and inferences about your interests, demographics, and shopping preferences.
- Personal information we collect from service providers and other third parties. Zulily receives personal information from other companies. This can include: companies that provide us with updated address and shipping instructions information; credit information; information from advertisers; information from Facebook, Twitter, and other similar social media platforms; information from advertising networks and other vendors we use to serve ads on our Sites or on other sites; and information from data analytics providers, data brokers, and other third parties that supplements the personal information we already have.
Uses of personal information. Zulily uses personal information for the following business or commercial purposes:
- Account provision and maintenance, including creating and managing your account with Zulily; providing customer service; verifying member information; and providing other services in the course of Zulily’s business operations;
- Product sales and fulfillment, including selling products; processing and shipping orders to you or to other people you designate; managing returns; processing refunds; and managing any warranties;
- Customer service and communications, including responding to requests, comments, or questions through emails, Facebook messenger messages, text messages, push notifications, telephone calls, postal mail, chat functions; providing interest-based advertising and other advertising, marketing, and promotional content and messaging, managing and communicating through Zulily presences on social media platforms and other platforms; maintaining product review capabilities; reviewing recorded calls or content of other communications for quality or customer service purposes; responding to requests for information and taking action that may be requested under CCPA;
- Improving services and user experience, including creating and updating applications, websites, and other features or functionality used by Zulily; debugging to identify and repair errors that may affect how the services function; engaging in analytics related to improving services or user experience;
- Personalizing user experience and marketing, including targeted product display; targeted marketing and advertising through the services; marketing through emails, Facebook messenger messages, text messages, push notifications and other communications methods; re-targeted marketing and advertising across other websites, devices, and platforms; auditing related to the performance of Zulily’s advertising and marketing efforts; engaging in analytics to personalize user experience;
- Fraud prevention and information security, including measures to verify identity when an account is used for ordering or when the account is otherwise accessed; detecting and responding to fraud or security incidents; protecting against other malicious, deceptive, or illegal activity;
- Legal obligations, including prosecuting people responsible for fraudulent, malicious, deceptive, or illegal activities; defending claims; notifying of product recalls or other issues related to products; enforcing and notifying of Zulily’s terms and conditions, privacy notice and other policies and changes to such terms and conditions, privacy notice and other policies;
- Payment-related activities, including processing payments, evaluating payment options, managing Smart-pay and similar payment programs, and managing private label credit card programs;
- Conducting research, analytics, surveys, and focus groups to improve customer experiences, develop services and products, provide better marketing and advertising;
- Product safety or quality activities,
- Any other legal purpose consistent with our applicable privacy notice.
Disclosures of personal Information.
- Sales of personal information. The concept of a "sale" under CCPA is different from what has traditionally been considered a "sale", e.g., selling a customer list for money. Under CCPA, a "sale" potentially includes other uses or disclosures of personal information to third parties outside Zulily in a commercial context (unless an exception to "sale" as provided by CCPA exists). Because the concept of "sale" is so broad under CCPA, Zulily may be deemed to "sell" the following categories of personal information: identifiers; demographic data; purchase history, and payment information; internet or other electronic network activity information; geolocation data; audio, electronic, visual, or similar information; your preferences and inferences about your interests; and individual records.
- Shares of personal information. Zulily shares information with social media platforms and its advertising partners in connection with its Interest-Based Advertising activities. These activities are considered a "share" of personal information under CCPA.
- Disclosures for business purposes. Please note that Zulily may share your personal information with vendors that help us fulfill your transactions and provide other services to us. Examples of these vendors include payment processors, fraud prevention services, and shippers. We do not treat these disclosures as sales. Zulily may disclose the following personal information to our vendors: identifiers; demographic data; purchase history, and payment information; internet or other electronic network activity information; geolocation data; audio, electronic, visual, or similar information; professional or employment-related information; your preferences and inferences about your interests; and individual records.
Financial incentive. We may offer you various financial incentives such as special offers and discounts when you provide us with personal information, such as your name and contact information. The terms of the financial incentive will be presented to you at the time you sign up. You may withdraw from any of the financial incentives by opting-out of SMS or marketing emails (if applicable), referring to the program terms, or contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Generally, we do not assign monetary or other value to personal information. However, California law requires that we assign such value in the context of financial incentives. In such context, the value of the personal information is equal to the cost of providing the financial incentive we have offered you.
California's "Shine the Light" law. If you are a California resident, California law gives you the right to request a list of all third parties to which Zulily has disclosed your personal information (as defined by CA Civil Code § 1798.83) for those companies’ direct marketing purposes. California consumers who wish to request further information about the entities with which we have shared their personal information, if any, should email us at email@example.com and place "California Shine the Light Request" in the subject line.